Kenwood Handheld Radios
Kenwood used the Hamvention 2016 in Dayton (USA) to present first samples of a new 'wonderradio'. Now the TH-D74 was introduced officially on the market.
The TH-D74E combines many of the recent technological advancements in one handheld radio. Since many years Kenwood offer APRS (automated position reporting system) by including a TNC and GPS into selected radios, also the new TH-D74. A GPS antenna is built in. Further the radio offers digital voice operation by supporting the D-Star mode. D-Star is a digital mode which is supported by JARL since more than 10 years and which has found widespread aceptance all around the world. D-Star supports the networking of repeater stations over the internet, offering worldwide communications on VHF and UHF. The decision by Kenwood to join an existing digital voice system instead of forcing yet another new (incompatible) system on the market is highly appreciated! It helps to reduce a further fragmentation of the amateur radio market.
The handheld radio TH-D74E is designed as a real dual band radio and has two receivers. Both receivers can be operated on different bands, and on the same band ops like V/V or U/U is possible. The A-Band supports VHF and UHF, the B-Band additionally has a wide band receiver from 100 kHz 30 MHz, 6m, WFM, airband, VHF and UHF. Demodulation is not limited to AM and FM, but you can listen to WFM, USB, LSB or CW signals as well (WFM on 3m radio band only). The B band supports a fine tune mode for SSB/CW which has tuning steps down to 20Hz! This turns the TH-D74 into a capable handheld scanner. A large number of memories allows to store all preferred sttaions, of course including alpha-numeric memory names.
The large colour display of the TH-D73E is easy to read, even in bright day light. The flat keys are easy to operate. To withstand the rough environment on a mountain hike, the radio is waterprotected according to standard IP54/55. Speaking of a hike: The TH-D74E can also act as a GPS logger alone, i.e. without powering the radio. This greatly reduces the power consumption. All tracks are recorded on a Micro-SD memory card, along with repeater lists, memory settings and all other information. Even entire QSOs can be recorded on memory. A bluetooth connection allows the use with a hands free headset, for example in a car. A USB interface is provided for communication with a computer, for example for KISS mode packet radio, memory management or software updates. Kenwood offer two free programs for easier memory management and remote control of the radio. Power supply is done with a LiIon rechargeable battery.
- APRS / Packet Radio / GPS
- Display of received APRS data, including weather stations
- Station list, message list
- QSY function
- Smart Beaconing
- KISS-Mode TNC via USB cable or Bluetooth
- APRS parameter settings per menu system
- Built-in GPS antenna
- GPS data logger function
- Compatible to the existing worldwide D-Star system
- Digital Voice and Fast Data Mode
- Simplex, Multiplex, Zone, Gateway operation possible
- Repeater operation, CQ calls
- Simplified handling with DR mode (D-Star Repeater Mode)
- Easy to maintain repeater lists
- Improved DSP sound
- HF Capabilities
- Band A: TX 144-146, 430-440 MHz, RX 136-174, 410-470 MHz (FM, NFM, DV)
- Band B: RX 0.1 - 524 MHz (FM, NFM, WFM, AM, SSB, CW) 
- Offers V+V, U+U and V+U operation
- TX power 5 / 2 / 0.5 / 0.05 W
- 12kHz IF output for decoder programs, 15 kHz bandwidth
- Selectable deviation for FM and NFM
- Fine tuning 20/100/500/1000 Hz in SSB/CW
- Ferrite antenna built-in for HF < 10MHz, LW, MW
- Further features
- MicroSD/SDHC memory card up to 32GB
- Recording of GPS tracks, received data, voice signals, settings etc.
- 32 Bit DSP serves as audio equalizer (TX and RX) as well as IF filter in SSB and CW.
- Micro USB interface for computer communication
- Free MCP-D74 Software for easy memory management
- Free ARFC-D74 Software for frequency settings and remote control
- Trans-reflective colour display, 240 x 180 px, selectable colour themes
- Bluetooth function (SPP and HSP profiles)
- Waterproof case IP54/55
 RX Range not continous.
- Included in shipment
- TH-D74E radio
- LiIon battery KNB-75L, 7.4V, 1800 mAh
- Device Antenna VHF/UHF
- Belt Clip
|TH-D74E||Kenwood APRS/D-Star Handheld radio TH-D74E||694.00 €||Buy now||In stock, shipped in 1 or two days. ⓘ|
|99FREQ||Frequency extension Please see note!||25.00 €||Buy now||In stock, shipped in 1 or two days. ⓘ|
|Info freight charges|
Protective cover for TH-D74E
|SC-57||39.00 €||Buy now||In stock, shipped in 1 or two days. ⓘ|
|Info freight charges|
Accessories Kenwood TH-D74E
Software for the TH-D74E by Kenwood
Kenwood offers two Windows programs free of charge for download:
- The Memory Control Program MCP-D74 helps to mamage the memories very easily,
- the Frequency Control Program ARFC-D74 serves to set frequency and other parameters remotely.
Both programs can be downloaded free of charge, along with updated repeater lists, drivr for the USB interface and other items on the Kenwood website.
Frequency Extension for RadiosPlease note:
All radios supplied by WiMo normally cover only the amateur bands (transmit wise).
The frequency extension of a radio (TX open) is done on explicit request by the customer.
Amateur Radio transceivers are usually not specified for use outside the amateur bands. In some cases the radio and especially the final amplifier or output filters can be damaged when transmitting outside the amateur bands. These damages are not covered by any warranty.
The manufacturer warranty might be voided in some cases as well.